Sunday, October 11, 2009

Racial and Religious Trends on OK Cupid

From Rhonda:

I read this last night and can not stop thinking about how interesting this is! I figured I'd send to you - maybe it's bloggable, dialogueable, maybe not. But I thought it was ballsy for this site to go ahead and record things this way and state what they're seeing. And then also ballsy in a different way to call everyone racist dorks haha. It's got people angry/defensive in a way that I can't help but find slightly endearing, watching all these folks grapple with group behavior.

http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/2009/10/05/your-race-affects-whether-people-write-you-back/

OKcupid was started by a bunch of harvardians and they're known for being free and hip and trendy and youthful compared to other dating sites. The blog also has some data on who is willing to date whom by religious data here.

That sort of aggregate data on how trends work out is so rarely packaged to young non-academics, so I thought the comments were really notable for the shock/defensiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment